When A Hit And Run Driver Strikes Your Car, What Kind Of Coverage Will You Need?

What Kind of Coverage Will do You Need If a Hit-and-Run Driver Strikes Your Car? 

When a hit-and-run driver strikes your car, you should make sure you have the proper coverage. You can’t know who caused the accident, so you’ll need collision and uninsured motorist coverage. Fortunately, you won’t have to pay a deductible on uninsured motorist bodily injury coverage. However, collision coverage requires a deductible. If you have multiple types of coverage, you may have to pay more than one deductible.

(Looking for a Car Accident Attorney? Visit us today!)

Uninsured motorist coverage 

If you have been in a hit-and-run accident and were not at fault for the accident, you may be entitled to uninsured motorist coverage. This coverage will help you pay for damages and medical bills after the accident. It may even cover your health insurance costs if the other driver is uninsured. 

The most important thing to remember about uninsured motorist coverage is that you must have physical contact with the other vehicle to make a claim. You must also prove that the driver did not have insurance – being “cut off” in traffic is not considered a hit-and-run. Reckless driving can also make the driver responsible, but this is not sufficient to invoke an uninsured motorist policy. 

Collision coverage 

If you’re in a hit-and-run accident, it’s essential to obtain collision coverage. You need to notify your insurance carrier of the accident, as soon as possible. It is also important to document the accident details, such as the names of the drivers and the car damage. You’ll also need to provide the insurance carrier with your car insurance policy number and the policy number of the other driver. 

Collision coverage pays for repairs and replacement of your car when another person’s car crashes into it. It also covers repairs for an overturned car. However, you’ll need to purchase collision coverage with a deductible. 

Personal injury protection 

If you are involved in a hit-and-run accident, personal injury protection is a policy that can help cover the medical expenses you incur. It can also cover lost wages and funeral expenses. In some states, drivers must have PIP coverage. In most states, it is optional. Personal injury protection may also come with a deductible, so it’s important to understand the deductible before making a claim. 

Liability insurance is an essential part of auto insurance and will protect you if a hit-and-run driver leaves the scene without reporting the accident. It may also cover your medical expenses if you or a passenger are injured in a hit-and-run accident. Liability insurance will also protect the driver from third-party claims. If the other party is injured in a hit-and-run, it may pay out up to $5,000. 

Medical payments 

If you’re in an automobile accident and a hit-and-run driver hits your car, you’ll need to be aware of your rights and options regarding your insurance coverage. Fortunately, many policies include medical payments coverage, which will help you pay for the costs of medical treatment if the other driver is at fault. Some states also mandate that you carry medical payments coverage, so make sure to check with your state’s insurance regulations. 

If you’re in a car accident and have been injured, you should call 911 right away and get checked out. The collision could leave you with injuries that you may not notice for days, so it’s important to get a medical evaluation as soon as possible. 

When A Hit And Run Driver Strikes Your Car, What Kind Of Coverage Will You Need? | Montag Law